Friday, September 08, 2006

Hey everyone, it is I, Kevin Tong.
How are all the books going?
I like what I see and this blog is such a great idea. Sorry I didn't start posting immediately, but I got busy.
I want to take this moment to provide my testimonial for Red Cygnet Press. Here goes.

"Red Cygnet Press, as Told by an Illustration Student."
Being a illustration student is both wonderful and frightening. As a student, we learn about great artists, new techniques, and concepts that reshape our views of art. Simultaneously, we experience a growing fear.
Finding that first job.
Company after company stating that previous job experience is necessary. Hundreds of phone calls, resumes, and portfolio samples that seem to circulate in a desolate void somewhere. It all seems hopeless, but it doesn't have to be.
I came across the Red Cygnet Press Submission guidelines during such a time. An instructor gave them to my friend who passed them onto me. I couldn't believe the opportunity placed before me. A chance to write and illustrate my own children's book, one that would be widely distributed!
Children's subject matter had never been my forte, but I wanted to give it a shot. I was always fascinated with sequential illustration and telling stories and I already had a story in mind. When I mailed my materials to Red Cygnet Press, I felt the cold rock of self doubt rolling in my gullet. I didn't think I had much of a chance.
My submission was accepted and I felt that growing fear that I mentioned earlier diminish. What excites me the most about Red Cygnet Press is that they offer fresh new illustrators the chance to do something on their own from start to finish. The biggest surprise was how the founders, Joshua Gravin and Bruce Glassman, were very supportive of my ideas and let my imagination grow.
The whole time they offered helpful suggestions and feedback to aid in the development of my story and the illustrations. Their expectations were always generous. Joshua was always available to talk to and Bruce offered valuable help in the technical aspects of making a book. Thanks to Red Cygnet Press, I have learned so much about publishing, distribution, production requirements, and illustration.
Through Red Cygnet Press I have also made new friends and I have a book that I can call my own.

Kevin Tong, September 2006

2 Comments:

Blogger Ami Blackford said...

Here! Here! I agree wholehardely.
Well put Kevin!

~Ami B.~

4:38 AM  
Blogger Alessandra Sorrentino said...

Really love the preliminary-pastel sketch with just the blue door, the green tentacle and the red shirt.
Simple and very cute!

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home